The Sutro Tunnel is an engineering marvel that was initiated by Adolph Sutro.  His plan was to create a near horizontal tunnel to reach the vertical mine shafts of the Virginia City Comstock.  This tunnel would drain water from the shafts, and infuse clean air for the Miners.  Construction started in 1869 and reached the first mine shaft in 1878.  The tunnel and the surrounding structures are being preserved by The Friends of Sutro Tunnel, a non-profit organization.  On April 8, 2023, with much effort, members of The Rotary Club of Carson City volunteered to help restore some of the buildings to original condition.  Jackhammers, crowbars, knives, drills, hammers, and chisels were used to remove a non-original brick and concrete floor from the Carriage House.  Plaster board walls and insulation were also removed.  In addition, soiled carpet, insulation, cabinets, and drapes were removed from a large residence. Over 3.6 tons of material were removed from the structures !